Thursday, August 6, 2015

238 Bird practice
6x6" oil on masonite

I found another bird figurine at an antique shop. Normally they seem to want upwards of $5-7.00 for such things, which I think is outrageous. but this one had a chip on off the beak, which doesn't bother me since I'm just going to use it as a model, so it was priced at 75 cents. Better still I think my mom had one like it when I was growing up.

Anyway, this is a practice board, a great way to learn how to paint complex objects. The size of the board is 6x6" as you already know, and I subdivide it into 3x3' quadrants. Each quadrant contains a single 10 minute exercise in capturing the subjects' likeness. This method really reduces the stress of painting. Which is great as I can get a little stressy about things. Thanks to Carol Marine for introducing me to this exercise.

I love my practice boards. I can't imagine anyone wanting them, but I also can't imagine selling them.

No comments: